Why St. John Ambulance?


I know it may seem strange about why I chose St. John Ambulance (SJA) as the charity for me to partner with at the London Marathon. When the reality of being an (Salt-Wasting) Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete is realized the choice isn't so strange.

Yep, that's Prince Harry with SJA responders!

One of the worst moments for someone with Adrenal Insufficiency is when they start going into an adrenal crisis. How does this happen? The answer is basic: anything can cause a crisis. Most often it is associated with an illness. If we cannot keep our medicine (hydrocortisone) in our bodies this is problem #1. The second problem is dehydration. Put those two events together and you end up with a person who is basically struggling to stay alive.

Many people would say, "Dramatic much?" My answer is short and abrupt, "No!"

For people with functioning adrenal glands, the production of cortisol is natural. The body can increase what it needs and recovery will happen. For someone with AI who either like me does not produce any Cortisol or someone who may still produce some cortisol but not enough for times of stress, we do not produce that increase in Cortisol. At this moment time is of the essence. The most simple corrective measure is an emergency injection of solu-cortef.

Another way that AI's can seek help is to call the local medical response, ambulance, rescue squad, paramedic or whatever they are called in your area. Maybe at this point you're starting to figure out how SJA fits into my life and going to London.


When I began considering entering the lottery for the London Marathon, I was also considering a charity entry. I emailed SJA to learn about their AI emergency protocol. What I learned is that the United Kingdom has a national protocol for adrenal insufficiency.

Say what, Brian? You must be hallucinating? I know, for those of us in the United States this seems hardly possible. It's hard to even get local protocols. Let alone even imagine a state or national protocol.


For me as a long distance runner going to a foreign country with Salt-Wasting Adrenal Insufficiency this was most welcome news. SJA has their crews out on the course along with other first responders. Should I suffer a crisis for whatever reason on the course it is calming to know that they could get proper notification of what to do with an Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete.

In addition to being first responders, SJA educates about first aid, CPR and any other number of medical situations.

So, I will ask you this...how could I not choose a charity which could help save my life?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have two fundraising pages.The JustGiving page is specifically to donate to St. John Ambulance, the charity that I am running for at the marathon and that has generously allowed me to get an entry into the London Marathon. My GoFundMe page is to help with all London Marathon expenses.

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide. Share the links with anyone you know that may want to help.

It is a blessing to have all of you who follow the adventures of the Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete!

Comments