It began with one mile(ish) and OUCH

At finish line of first race in 20014On the beach of second race

I WAS NOT A RUNNER GROWING UP, NOR AS A GROWNUP...

I did one race when I was in junior high, the early 1980's. It was a 5K (3.1 miles) that began and ended at Santa Anita Park in my hometown of Arcadia, CA. As a salt-wasting Adrenal Insufficient kid, this pushed my parents over the edge with anxiety. Plus, I was one and done. Running did not interest me. My Dad actually ran 5Ks. It was fun watching him.

Marching band was my thing! Yes, I was a band geek. A very proud band geek!

Fast forward to 2014. Some of you have heard a variation of this story. The Wife (for those newer to my story, that is Merrill) felt sad that she was not able to run with her daughter in a Girls on the Run 5K. Being someone who is not patient (everyone be quiet!) and not wanting to lose the emotion, I said we should start right away. The next day, a Sunday, after church we went to a local running store, Charlotte Running Company and sat through a fitting for shoes. It must have been a spectacle with us doing that in our church clothes. LOL

Then...
...
...
At the age of 45...
We went for a "run." There is a very specific reason the word run is in quotes. Anyone who runs knows that a person doesn't just start out for the first time and run. Heck they don't even walk fast for a distance. We did run, for maybe one-tenth of a mile. Then walked and then maybe ran a little bit more. When we were done, the total distance may have been a mile-ish. That may be generous.

PAIN! ACHINESS! ADVIL! WHAT THE H$*L WERE WE THINKING!

This running thing is NOT going to be easy! DAMN! You mean I can't just be good at this?

I kept at it. Each time I went out, I ran a little more. Small increases were important.

I want everyone to understand this fact...just keep at it. If you continue doing mile that is ok. If you go further that is ok, also. You are You! As the saying goes, You Do You!

As you know, I continued running all the way to running the Marine Corps Marathon in October 2015. Why? Everyone who know this saying from me say it together, "Because it was there!" That way of thinking has taken me to many strange, but fun, places in life, including triathlons (swim, bike, run)!

One last and the most important thing, I have always kept my Salt-Wasting Adrenal Insufficiency at the forefront of everything I do. For the salt-wasting part, I have my personalized hydration from INFINIT Nutrition. For the Adrenal Insufficiency, I always have some hydrocortisone (that has taken a lot of training and exploration to get it just right) and 99% (yes, there are times I don't have it) of the time my solu-cortef injection with me. If I didn't, that would be negligent on my part and not practicing what I preach.

A friend of mine wanted me to write this blog because she has a feeling that a lot of my followers may think I am natural at this running thing. That is not even close to the truth.

If you need some encouragement I am here to chat. If you just want to chat. Well, I am here, also!

One last thing: I am establishing the nonprofit charity Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete. The first step of the process was to submit and have recognized my Articles of Incorporation from the State of North Carolina. Check that off! Now I need to submit my application for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status from the IRS. Read about that at this link.


Comments