22.24 miles is not 26.2 mile...& I am ok with that

 


I look so happy in that picture. Ready to "run" the London Marathon...enjoying being in London...seeing new and amazing sites. This is so excting!

"But wait Brian, isn't that your car?"

Ummmmmm...mayyyyyybe.

Ok, there is some (maybe a lot) of explaining to do. Let's start at the beginning.


In the Spring of 2019, I was supposed to run the BHM 26.2 in Birmingham, Alabama. Weather delayed it and I needed to change plans. Instead, I chose to run the Kings Mountain Marathon. Yes, it was a marathon around a mountain. It beat me up because I had trained for a relatively flat marathon in Birmingham. The above picture and Instagram post is me coming in at the halfway point.

Then...I received the message from a mother in England who was watching the London Marathon with her son. As many of you know, if there is something for me to do, I will accept the challenge. So, I did this:
I did not get a lottery entry, but something better!

This happened:

St. John Ambulance gave me a charity entry into the London Marathon. I going to be running around London in April 2020.

THEN...2020 happened. Travel and events came to a screeching halt.

The marathon was rescheduled to be run virtually on Oct. 4. I had not been training much due to life and medical issues. My plan was to walk the full 26.2 miles and I was fine with that. The London Marathon billed the race as "Run Your Way."

Sunday, Oct. 4 came. I parked my car (as seen in the original picture at the top) which had extra hydration (INFINIT Nutrition), snacks, a lunch with Coca-Cola Zero and a change of clothes. Packed with me was my Camelbak with my INFINIT hydration, extra hydrocortisone and my Solu-Cortef act-o-vial emergency injection. I WAS READY!

My plan was to walk several loops of 6-8 miles on a local greenway near home. The Wife joined me for the start and we went 6 miles together. She left to go back home for a while before joining me for the finish. I went for another 2 miles before heading back to my car for a reboot. It was a really good start. I felt really good.

After the stop at the car, I headed back out, earbuds in and listening to the Dan Harris podcast 10% Happier. Each loop included a stop at the Port-a-Potty! When you gotta go, you gotta go! I made it to 13.1 miles, HALFWAY!
Halfway...I am looking and feeling good!

I got back to the car, ate some of the sandwich I brought. Merrill joined me for the last push to the end. We made it to the turn around and had about 6 miles left. I was slowing down, but that was to be expected. I had been walking for more than 7 hours.

Around 22 miles I knew I needed to rest. We went another .24 miles and found a place for me rest. I sat down, Merrill waited for me to get ready for the last 4 miles.

4 MILES, that was all I had left to go distance-wise and I had 4 hours to cover that distance. SIMPLE, right?????

WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I vaguely heard Merrill saying, "Brian, talk to me. Do you hear me?!?!" Then I sat up, a man was holding me up with a hand on my right shoulder. Merrill was on my left talking on the phone giving directions to emergency first responders.

"He has Adrenal Insufficiency," I heard her say.

Next to me was this:
Solu-Cortef Act-O-Vial emergency injection

It turns out I had passed out twice sitting there. The third time in 1 1/2 months. That is not good. Thankfully, I had not rolled forward onto the ground. It was about a 2 foot fall. That may have hurt a little bit.

Sirens were heard! The firefighters that responded were extremely professional and one knew about the injection and knew that solu-medrol is a comparable substitute. They took me to the ambulance that was waiting. Ironically, I was wearing a St. Johns Ambulance running shirt in an ambulance.
Ready for my ride in the MEDIC Ambulance.

This was my first ride in an ambulance, ever. Since I was conscious and obviously not in distress, there were no sirens or emergency lights. WOW, they ask a lot of questions about medical background. LOL There was the moment I felt like I was in an episode of the 1970's show Emergency (Roy, Gage, Chet, Dr. Brackett and Dixie the nurse) when I was hooked up to a ECG unit and they called to tell the Emergency Department who they were transporting and how far out we were.

I was checked into Novant Health - Matthews emergency department. The nurse checked me in and asked more of the same questions with MEDIC answering them and me interjecting specifics, especially with medications and dosages. Adrenal Insufficiency self-advocating kicked in.

The doctor came in and asked me all sorts of questions. She listened to me talk about adrenal insufficiency and what I would need, an injection of Solu-Cortef or Solu-Medrol. I was hooked up to an IV with saline and a quick injection of Solu-Medrol. Blood was drawn. We waited for the results.

Why did I get the Solu-Medrol so quickly? I advocated for myself and knew all about my medical condition. The doctor said anytime someone does that she listens and acts appropriately.

Labs came back pretty normal for having been out walking for nearly 8 hours and 22.24 miles. The doctor said my electrolyte levels were really good. Thank you, INIFINT Nutrition.

What was the diagnosis? There was no diagnosis. It is unknown why I passed out. I have an appointment in December with a cardiologist.

Sadly, I could not get back out to finish the London Marathon. No medal. No finisher's shirt. I ended it having completed 22.24 miles. That is not 26.2 miles.
This doesn't have a sad ending, though. I received this email from St. John Ambulance about the 2022 London Marathon:
WATCH OUT, LONDON! I will be a force to reckon with. At that point I should have my nonprofit charity status and have a few meetups when I am there.

I want to say thank you to The Wife (Merrill). She was a champion and made sure everyone knew I have adrenal insufficiency. Thank you to St. John Ambulance for giving me this opportunity and then another one in 2022. Thank you to all of my supporters and followers. Y'all have been here with me through it all.

I AM NOT DONE!!!! There is so much left to do.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here are a few links that I want to share...

I have started a podcast, "Cortisol Dreamin'!" It is a work in progress, but I really want it to grow. Please take a listen using this link or anywhere you listen to podcasts.
Here are two fundraising links:

This first one is for St. John Ambulance. To read why I chose them, click here. There is a fundraising link in that blogpost.

The second link is to help me with establishing the Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete as a nonprofit charity. That may be reached here.

As always...THANK YOU!

Comments