Part 2: Frost Bite 5K, Mayor Jennifer Roberts, and a sponsorship proposal

Part 2 of 2...

I had a completely different approach to this post when I finished up Part 1. It will still address what I ended that one with, continuing my awareness-building, advocating for those with Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia and I will also continue being an ambassador for the Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia Clinic at Children's Hospital Los Angeles.
One of our coldest runs at the
appropriately named Frost Bite 5K
No, this will begin with my experience at the Frost Bite 5K in Kannapolis, NC. This was definitely a frosty run. It was 28 degrees (Fahrenheit) at the start. By the end I had my first frozen drop of sweat on my hair. Merrill was kind of excited about it. Sadly, it melted immediately as I touched, so there is no picture.

Why am I starting with this race? It's simple. I didn't care about my time. I was on my way to one of my better times in a long time, but something held me back. It most definitely wasn't something bad, like a cramp or an injury. It was a boy that was running and struggling. Around 2 1/2 miles I came to a woman, maybe a mother, and a boy who may have been 10 or 11. She was encouraging him saying that he only had a few more minutes to go. I went by him and like I usually do said something like, "Keep going. The finish is almost there." I may have also made the comment, "You can't let this old man beat you!" To which his mother said, "Yeah, he's older so don't let him beat you, but maybe not as old as Paw-Paw."

Not because of that comment, or maybe it was, from that moment I ran with the boy. I offered him my hand to pull him along, but he wouldn't take it. That was fine. He was moving right along and I knew he would finish. After we finished going up a tough hill about 2/10's of a mile from the finish I thought he was going to stop. He didn't. There was a left turn about 1/10 of a mile from the finish and that boy turned on the gas and sped up to the finish. He was winded and spent at the finish, but he did it.

This is what running is all about. Time doesn't always matter. It's making sure everyone has the chance to finish. I have had races where I have felt guilty afterwards because I either didn't say anything or felt I should have stopped and finished with them. I am hoping this boy is able to realize that he did finish the race and he could again. I do have to admit, it was a tough hill at the end and I would have struggled going up it!
Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts
I think I will wrap up with this picture. At the middle child's choir school concert two weekends ago, which was amazing, I had the opportunity to sit behind and chat with the Honorable Mayor of Charlotte, NC, Jennifer Roberts. After the concert, I took a moment to give my Tri-ing By 50 business card to the mayor. I told her that I was awareness and funds for a clinic at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. She asked, "What is the tie to Los Angeles?" I then went on to explain what I am doing and why. This is what I am concentrating on. This is who I am. This is my ministry. THIS IS ME!

This afternoon (Monday, Dec. 19), I went on a different journey. I sent my first sponsorship proposal for my IRONMAN 70.3 journey and beyond. It was rough. It was amateur. It was me. I will keep everyone updated.

---------------------------------------------------------

If you could help, no amount is too small, please visit: Go Fund Me.

Comments