Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete: Empowering Others With AI


Who is the Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete? Who is Empowering Others With AI? Sit back and read. The only hint I will give...shhhhh...It's me, Brian Hacker. That's who!

When I began this in 2016 (you can read about it here), I didn't really know what I was doing. I knew that in the fall of 2015 I had finished a marathon, 26.2 miles of running. Not just any marathon, but the Marine Corp Marathon! I knew that my experiences with my rare form of Adrenal Insufficiency made it hard to accomplish, but I wanted to share this accomplishment with others that lived with it. How this would happen I wasn't quite sure. So, I began blogging and flooding social media with Tri-ing By 50.

What did Tri-ing By 50 mean? I was going to finish a 70.3 and 140.6 mile triathlon, most preferably an IRONMAN event, by or in my 50th birthday year. That was from June 2018 through May 2019.

I also sent a crazy email to the chief of the division of endocrinology, diabetes and metabolism and co-director of the CAH Comprehensive Care Clinic at Children's Hospital Los Angeles...Dr. Mitchell Geffner or as I know him, Mitch. That crazy email led to a trip from North Carolina to California. I spoke to families and fellow Warriors about growing up and living with my rare form of AI. See, CHLA saved my life back in 1968. Without CHLA I would not be here to tell my story and encourage and empower others. Whatever I could do to help repay CHLA back for that, I wanted to do. That trip launched my reach worldwide. This is still a main goal of my outreach. Thank you CHLA!

I do not know my true reach but I do not care. What drives me is when I get that note from a parent wherever they may live that says, "Thank you for giving me hope that my child will lead a 'normal' life."

UPDATE as of Friday, April 12: The race has been rescheduled for April 28.

Now, as it is two days (originally Sunday, April 14) before I run my third marathon, the BHM 26.2 marathon, I am rebranding myself. What I am doing is more than about triathlons...and truthfully more than about marathons. Oh, and now I am getting older than 50! I am empowering those with Adrenal Insufficiency and their families. I am an Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete. All of us are Adrenal Insufficient Warriors. What I am doing through being a runner triathlete and getting the word out there about all of this I am hoping to Empower Others with AI!

So, sit back and enjoy the adventure. There are a lot of great things happening. A hint about one thing is Camp Cortisol!

Comments