What Is Next? Nonprofit or Foundation?

RUN HAPPY!!!!

So much has happened from the last time I wrote. Sadly, it has been a long time. Below are a couple of things I am highlighting. One of them is a huge step forward for Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete's future.

London Marathon Postponed

On April 26, I did run the London Marathon. Well, I didn't run it in London because it was postponed to Oct. 4 due travel and health restrictions. It was a disappointment to not be able to travel to London, tour and then run around the city. So, where did I run it...here in Matthews, NC. We have a few routes around our house of varying distances. I chose the 6.5 mile route and ran it 4 times (with a little extra). That was hard and took me longer than it should have, but it was fun! I still ran it for St. John Ambulance. Their mission has changed a little since the pandemic hit London. They are actively helping the National Health Service (NHS). Below are videos highlighting landmarks that I would have seen during the run.
Also, St. John Ambulance could still use help to further their mission. Follow this link: http://bit.ly/2roHwk2







What Is Next?

Ever since I started Adrenal Insufficient Warrior Athlete, formerly Tri-ing By 50, I have searched for what it is I want to do. I know that everything I do encouraging the Adrenal Insufficient community that all things are possible is who I am. Thankfully, someone told me that this week, "๐Ÿงก you do a lot for the community." Just when I wonder about that, someone comes along and gives me the encouragement needed to keep going.

My wondering has been about what more can I do? If you are not familiar with my beginnings, then it is is important to learn about that, because it is my future.

About 6 months after completing my first marathon, The Marine Corps Marathon, I reached out to the endocrinology department at Children's Hospital Los Angeles. Why? Well, as a newborn they saved my life in 1968. I was invited to a camp to speak to families of children with the rare genetic form of Adrenal Insufficiency I have. This was the very first time I had ever met and been around others like me! Dr. Mitch Geffner and Dr. Mimi Kim became lifelong friends from that moment on.
Read my story here: https://adrenalinsufficientwarriorathlete.blogspot.com/2016/11/the-moment-finally-arrived-what-moment.html
Read CHLA's version here: https://www.chla.org/blog/patient-stories/finding-inspiration-from-one-chlas-first-congenital-adrenal-hyperplasia-patient

Then I was invited to Camp Cortisol by its founder Rebecca Lemley. She emailed me out of the blue about attending the first year of the camp. "If you are interested in attending Camp Cortisol, we would love to have you. So many of us parents are inspired by your story. - Rebecca Lemley" Not being able to say no, I got in my car and drove from Charlotte, NC, to the middle of Alabama. This was another amazing moment! What an amazing time this was and has been for the past 3 (hopefully soon to be 4) years.
Read about the first year here: https://adrenalinsufficientwarriorathlete.blogspot.com/2017/08/camp-cortisol-and-ironman-703-augusta.html

I know y'all are saying come on, Brian! Just tell us!!!!!!!!
DRUMROLL ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿฅ๐Ÿฅ

Nonprofit or Foundation?!?!
I want to help support Adrenal Insufficiency camps, starting with Children's Hospital Los Angeles and Camp Cortisol. These two have been so influential in my direction. I have talked to Drs. Geffner and Kim and Rebecca Lemley and they think it's a great idea. BUT, I don't want to stop there! I want to help establish other camps for those with my rare form and also for those with other forms of Adrenal Insufficiency. I have experienced and seen how the camps affect those in attendance. Friendships are built. New understandings emerge. The camps are just good for everyone. It could have even have such enormous impact beyond the camps, but I don't want to speculate.

How do I accomplish this goal? That is what I am trying to figure out. First I need to get direction about becoming a nonprofit or foundation. I know there are legal, governmental and who knows what else for regulations.

If you would be able to help, I will never say no to that! To reach me, send an email to triingby50@gmail.com.


THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!!!!!! You're support is absolutely amazing!!!!!!

Comments